Spicy Seafood Curry #SeafoodRecipesWorldwide
Cooking curry meal should be delicately cook until the end. This is a seafood recipe wherein you can use any fresh seafood catch. For spiciness, adjust the quantity of chiles according to your taste.
• 1 pound shrimps, crabs, fish
• 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
• 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
• 6 cloves
• 8 cardamom pods
• 1 tablespoon turmeric
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or clarified butter
• 2 medium onion, 1 chopped fine and 1 sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 2-3 small fresh chiles, such as serrano or Thai, or any chile will do, chopped
• 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
• 1 14-ounce can of coconut milk
• 1/4 cup grated coconut (fresh, if possible)
• 1 heaping tablespoon tamarind paste
• 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1. Make the curry mix by toasting the coriander, peppercorns, cloves and cardamom pods in a dry skillet until they are fragrant and the coriander just starts popping. Take off the heat and let cool a minute or two and then grind fine in a mortar or spice grinder. Mix well with the turmeric, and cumin.
2. Saute the chopped onion and the chiles in the same pan with the oil or butter until soft. Do not brown. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Take the onion mixture off the heat and put it into a blender. Add the curry spice mix to it, then about 1/4 cup of water. Blend into a puree.
4. Pour the coconut milk into a pot and heat it over medium-high heat until it simmers. Add the sliced onion and grated coconut and let this cook for 3-4 minutes at an active simmer.
5. Add the curry from the blender and mix well, then add the tamarind paste and mix again. Taste for salt and add some if needed
6. Mix in the crab and cook until just heated, maybe 2-3 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and serve over rice.
7. Serves 4 persons.